Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Reeves Rancher Dies of Covid-19

This morning I came across an article in the Texas Tribune about Raymond Reeves who recently died at the age of 91 in the Texas Panhandle. Whenever I happen upon a gravestone, photo or other interesting information about a previously unknown Reeves' individual, I usually look to see if we have recorded them or their family in The Reeves Project. Finding no Raymond Reeves born in 1929 in Texas, I decided to do a little research to learn more about his ancestry.

Raymond Reeves
After a little sleuthing, I traced Raymond's family from Texas back to Alabama, then Georgia and found his earliest known ancestor to be John Reeves who died in Craven County, North Carolina in 1790.

Raymond descends from John Reeves' son Jesse Tinion Reeves of Hancock County, Georgia. A lot of research has been done to find John Reeves' origins and his father appears to be John Reeves of St. Mary's County, Maryland who migrated to North Carolina circa 1760.  Although there is currently no documentation of the relationship, the Y-DNA of a descendant of John Reeves matches that of other descendants of that Reeves' family.

Read the article which tells much about this Texas rancher's interesting life at The Texas Tribune

Thanks to the Texas Tribune for the photo above.

3 comments:

  1. Reading the Texas story about him, he was a legend of a man

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandfather is Sam Byrd Reeves II. Names after his grandfather the first. My Grandfather's father was Clyde Reeves. I was pretty sure we were linked through John. We already knew of Jessie and have his photos of he and Martha Murphy. Thanks for confirming my research. Anymore help with John's line? I believe Jane's is his father that I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm almost a year late in responding to your message. A descendant of John Reeves of Craven through Jesse Tinion Reeves has done a Y-DNA test and he actually is a match to several Reeves who descend from the Reeves' family of Charles and St. Mary's counties of Maryland. I thought that was completely exciting news! Here's a post about the Y-DNA findings: http://usreeves.blogspot.com/2016/09/another-reeves-mystery-solved.html and you can read more at The Reeves Project on John Reeves page: https://thereevesproject.org/data/tiki-index.php?page=Reeves_John_3364
      Beverly

      Delete